Tarjimly is a Facebook Messenger bot that connects volunteer translators (like you!) to refugees & immigrants in dire need of translation services, to speak with doctors, aid workers, & legal representatives, to name a few.
Tarjimly alerts translators of requests that are routed to fit them. If they are available, the connection is instantly made for them to enter a secure, anonymous conversation (text, audio notes, video, etc).
Refugees can choose specifically what they want to share & rate their session at the end.
Welcome to the Tarjimly community. You are now registered as a translator.
We just sent you an email and a Facebook message with some more information about what to expect next.
1) I registered but haven’t received any translation requests?
Tarjimly is currently partnering with refugee organizations for English to Arabic before opening to general availability in July. Make sure you update your translator profile form and we will match the best requests for you.
2) Does Tarjimly support other languages?
Translators will be able to edit and add languages after signing up. However, we are only connecting Arabic to English translation requests currently, which we will expand in the coming months.
3) Can I signup if I can't write in a language's script, only the English script?
Yes, but it usually depends on the language. For example, many refugees write and read Urdu in the English script as well as the Urdu script. Combined with voice notes, you may want to consider still signing up so long as you're confident speaking.
4) I'm just getting a loading circle when I submit the form?
You need to enable Facebook Platforms or try a browser that's not Internet Explorer or Firefox.
5) Is Tarjimly safe and secure?
Tarjimly connections are anonymous. The only thing we share between the Translator and Refugee is their first names and Translators agree to best safety practices. It's up to the participants to share whatever they like.
6) How will you ensure quality & vet translators?
1) Self-reported proficiency & experience level, as well as evaluations after sessions (1, 2, 3 stars) that will help us bump up better translators.
2) Testing and scoring new translators with the demo that gives an objective baseline.
3) Feedback system & random, aggregate, anonymous conversation analysis for quality.
4) If there's any frustration between translator/translatee, either can end the conversation and ping again to be connected to another person immediately.